The kitchen has always been considered the heart of the home. From great meals to great conversations, the kitchen is like the glue that holds everything together. It is with this in mind that many homeowners want to renovate, refurbish and modernise their kitchens.
A kitchen renovation always sounds exciting and challenging until you take the plunge into getting it started. Sometimes the ideas we have in our heads on how we want our kitchen to look tend up being impractical and costly leading to nightmare kitchen DIY projects. It is therefore essential to be as prepared as possible with research, an idea of the scope of the project and have a budget prepared at the start of your project. Kitchen renovations are known to be one of the most expensive of renovations, so being prepared on what you can expect to spend on each component of your renovation is key from the start.
How much should you budget for a kitchen renovation?
To answer this question, we’re going to look at a few elements of your renovation that will impact the cost:
– Size – The size of your kitchen is the biggest and most important aspect when determining the cost of the project as items such as the number of cabinets and counter space will play a role in the budget.
– Finish level – This refers to the type of finishes that will be used in your kitchen renovation. From budget to luxury and everything in between, the type of materials and fixtures used depends on the cost.
– Scope – Whether you are completely gutting your kitchen and starting from scratch or simply just replacing a few fixtures here and there, this will impact the cost.
The below costs are a guideline of what you can expect for a kitchen renovation in California:
– A complete renovation without changing the layout of the kitchen on an average (medium) sized kitchen could be budgeted as follows:
Budget – $25 000
Middle range – $40 000
High end – $80 000
As you can see from the example, an average kitchen renovation is between $40 000 to R$80 000 depending on the size, scope and choice of materials. However, some large luxury kitchen renovations can go way up and easily cost over $100 000. It all depends on what the client is looking for.
This may go without saying but the larger the kitchen the more expensive the renovation. The biggest cost is always the cabinets and fixtures so the more cabinetry, countertops and appliances, the greater the costs will be. It is important to purchase appliances well in advance of your final renovation as your contractor will need to plan the renovation around the size of your appliances.
The finishings refer to the quality of the materials and fixtures used. This includes cabinets, countertops, floorings, faucets and appliances that are chosen. As with anything the higher the quality of finishings the higher the cost of the renovation.
Scope – Rip and Replace vs Gutting a kitchen
This refers to the type of work that will be done in the renovation. This can impact the type of professional/contractor you will need to hire for the job.
A full renovation or “rip and replace” as the name suggests refers to replacing all old fixtures and finishes with new ones. The layout will remain the same from before and after the renovation. A licensed general contractor is able to assist with this type of kitchen renovation.
With a gut renovation, you will often re-route plumbing, electricity and/or remove walls, so generally stripping the kitchen to the floor. You will be changing the layout completely. This type of renovation will require specialist contractors such as designers, architects, and general contractors.
Once you have done research on the type of kitchen renovation you are wanting to undertake, there are a few things you should do:
– Put together a concise kitchen renovation checklist in order to ensure that both you and your contractors have clarity on the scope of the remodel.
– Based on this your contractor can then put together a formal cost estimate.
– Be sure to obtain a few cost estimates from various fully-vetted contractors and compare pricing accordingly.
A kitchen renovation can be one of the most exciting and rewarding remodelling projects in a home. With the right planning and contractors, you are share to get the kitchen of your dreams.
Looking for a reliable Kitchen Renovation Contractor?
Your search is over!
Leave your details below and we will contact you shortly after.